ven pongal is an authentic breakfast dish from Tamilnadu and is popular among all the south Indian states.
- Soak the rice and dal in 5 cups of water for minimum of 10 minutes.
- Add required salt, grated ginger and asafoetida to this mixture and pressure cook for 5 whistles. (1-2 whistles more than making regular rice)
- Heat ghee in a small pan, splatter cumin seeds, black pepper, curry leaves.
- Add this to the cooked rice dal mixture after the pressure is released.
- Fry the cashews in some ghee and add that too.
- Mix everything together even when it is still hot. The rice and dal should be partly mashed up.
- Ven pongal is ready to be served
- Dry roasting the moong dal or the yellow lentil prior to cooking gives additional flavor to the dish.
- Diet watchers can replace the white rice with brown rice or any type of millet. You can also increase the proportion of moong dal.
- You could also add vegetables like carrot, beans, spinach and green peas and make vegetable pongal.
Serving Ven Pongal